Monday, May 11, 2009

Introduction to Multiple Sclerosis

Hey! Welcome to my blog! I hope through this blog I can inform people about Multiple Sclerosis. I have been very passionate about this topic since by brother Bobby was diagnosed almost two and half years ago. My family and I really did not know much about this disease before Bobby's diagnosis, so I am hoping that this blog will provide more information for those who do not know much about MS.

The Multiple Sclerosis Association of America defines Multiple Sclerosis as a chronic, an unpredictable and often disabling disease that attacks the central nervous system (CNS), which is made up of the brain, spinal cord, and optic nerves. It is also considered to be an autoimmune disease. The body’s own defense system attacks myelin, the fatty substance that surrounds and protects the nerve fibers in the central nervous system. The nerve fibers can also be damaged. The damaged myelin forms scar tissue (sclerosis), which gives the disease its name. When any part of the myelin sheath or nerve fiber is damaged or destroyed, nerve impulses traveling to and from the brain and spinal cord are distorted or interrupted, producing the variety of symptoms that can occur. The damage appears in multiple places in the CNS.

According to National Multiple Sclerosis Society the most Common Symptoms of Multiple Sclerosis are fatigue, numbness in the face, body, or extremeties, walking, balance, and coordination difficulties, bladder dysfunction, bowel dysfunction, vision problems, sexual dysfunction, pain. cognitive function, depression, and spasticity. Some less common symptoms include speech disorders, swallowing problems, headache, hearing loss, seizures, tremor, respiration /breathing problems, and itching.

Every hour in the United States, someone is newly diagnosed with MS. Most people with MS are diagnosed between the ages of 20 and 50. Twice as many women as men have MS. It occurs more commonly among people with northern European ancestry, but people of African, Asian, and Hispanic backgrounds are not immune. It is believed that there are currently about 250,000 to 350,000 people in the United States who have been diagnosed with multiple sclerosis. This estimate suggests that approximately 200 new cases are diagnosed each week.

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for all the information. I find it all very fascinating! How long can someone live with MS before it's diagnosed?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some individuals can live with MS for years before it is diagnosed. In my brother's case, he lived with it for about eight years before he was diagnosed. MSis a very hard disease to diagnose. Many of the symptoms of MS mimic problems that can be experienced with other diseases so thats why it takes so long to lock down a diagnosis.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the links to the national organizations. Are there any groups here in Utah that promote MS awareness and support?

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is a National Multiple Sclerosis Society Utah chapter that promotes MS awareness and support Rachelle. There are other non-profit organizations also, usually developed by small groups or families.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel educated about MS. :) I had always heard about it, but never knew exactly what it was. I can't believe that 200 cases are diagnosed each week! Is there any research about how to prevent, treat, or cure MS?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting...what causes the autoimmune attack? Is it preventable?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Been diagnosed with multiple sclerosis in 2015, and I was a woman of 50. They put me on Rebif which I took until 2017 and was switched to Copaxone. I had two relapses on Rebif, none so far on Copaxone. I do notice my balance was getting worse, and my memory, as well as erectile dysfunction and spasms’ had no choice to sick for other solution and I was introduce to multivitamincare .org which I purchase the MS herbal formula from the org, the herbal supplement has successfully  get rid of my multiple sclerosis and reversed all symptoms after using the herbs as the Dr said , this is almost a miracle and do believe multivitamincare.org herbal cure will be recognize globally because am sure the world are yet to see their wonderful work.

    ReplyDelete